Volunteer at Mary Vagle Nature Center
Do you enjoy spending time indoors with animals and outdoors learning more about the natural environment? Volunteering at the Nature Center offers many opportunities to nurture your curiosity about the natural world. It will also give you the chance to make a difference on behalf of our shared open space.
We incorporate volunteers in all aspects of our programs from school field trips, animal care, and helping out with public interaction.
One of the many jobs a volunteer can help us with is taking care of George, our Desert Tortoise, during the spring and summer months. He is a much loved addition to the Nature Center and just one of the opportunities volunteers help with.
Becoming a Volunteer
We accept volunteers of all ages starting at 16 years old. If you are younger than 16 we ask that a parent or guardian be present on site during the course of the volunteered hours. For any volunteer over the age 18 there is a standard background check for which we can provide further information to you upon your visit.
If you would like to contribute your time and talents as a Nature Center volunteer, call us at (909) 349-6993 to set up an appointment and for additional information regarding age requirements and accommodations.
- Activity Restocking
- Animal Care
- Center Cleaning @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Education Assistance
- Graffiti Removal
- Outdoor Maintenance @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Special Events @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
In addition to the daily activities that take place, there are some annual events that anyone is welcome to join! These take place during certain times of the year. Please feel free to call us to ask what we have scheduled for large volunteer groups.
- National Public Lands Day: Saturday, September 23, 2023: A day celebrating parks across the country by helping clean up and/or plant native plants.
- Interested in taking part of this year's event? Please come by or call us to pre-register.
- Earth Day: Saturday, April 22, 2023 (9am-12pm). Want to give back? Join us at the Nature Center! We will be planting a drought-tolerant native garden to help restore local wildlife habitat.
- Special Events: If you have a group that would like to volunteer outside of these annual events, we will make special arrangements and find a project that works for everyone.